Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Iced Coffee

I love coffee, I can't live without it. I have 3 to 4 cups a day. In the summer I love to have iced coffee in the afternoons. A couple weeks ago I downloaded a new book, "Iced Coffee: 20 Best Recipes" I have really enjoyed this book and want to share the basic cold brew method I have been using...

Ingredients
  • 1 cup ground coffee, I like Starbucks Iced Blend but any dark or bold roast will work
  • 2 cups water
  • half & half or whole milk
  • sugar or sweetened condensed milk
  • flavored syrup, I like vanilla and/or hazelnut
Directions
  1. In a pitcher, mix ground coffee with water. Cover and allow to sit either refrigerated or room temperature for 8 to 12 hours. I usually leave it overnight.
  2. Line a fine mesh strainer(I use a metal filter from an old coffee maker) with a paper towel and set over an other pitcher. Pour coffee/water mixture through the strainer, allowing all liquid to run through. Discard grounds.
  3. Place coffee liquid in the fridge and allow to cool.
  4. To make iced coffee, pack a glass full of ice cubes. Fill glass 2/3 full with coffee liquid.
  5. Add splash of half & half or whole milk.
  6. Add 2-3 teaspoons sugar, flavored syrup or sweetened condensed milk and stir to combine. Taste and adjust half & half and/or sugar as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment